b-hebrew - Re[3]: 2Ki 20:7 and Isa 38:21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[3]: 2Ki 20:7 and Isa 38:21
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:31:44 +0200

Peter Kirk wrote:

>Dear Rolf,
>
>Thank you for your reply (snipped from below to save everyone's
>bandwidth). I realise that I have not fully understood your model and
>terminology, but let me try to reply to you trying to use simplified
>terminology which I and others may understand better.
>
>If I understand you rightly, you are explaining wayyiqtol/qatal
>doublets by saying that wayyiqtol and qatal are forms with
>fundamentally very different meanings, but also very broad "domains of
>meaning", covering almost all possible verb meanings it seems, so that
>in certain contexts one can be substituted by the other with no change
>of pragmatic implicature. That is possible, but surely Hebrew must be
>very ambiguous if the commonest verb forms can be used with almost in
>almost any pragmatic situation. My explanation would be that wayyiqtol
>and qatal are fundamentally quite similar in meaning, and so not
>surprisingly it is common that one can be substituted by the other.
>That is, their "domains of meaning" can overlap without covering
>almost the whole semantic field of verb meanings. Of course there are
>contexts where rather different verb forms can be substituted, e.g.
>wayyiqtol vs. infinitive construct in your Isaiah 37:15 and 2 Kings
>19:15 example. But I would expect this to be relatively rare with
>fundamentally very different verb forms e.g. qatal and yiqtol, for
>which you count 6 examples.
>
>I understand well your often-stated argument that the difference
>between wayyiqtol and weyiqtol is artificial and late. I disagree
>because I see two distinct meanings: wayyiqtol as perfective and
>generally sequential, collocating with qatal; weyiqtol as imperfective
>and collocating with yiqtol. But (as I have said before) there may
>have been some cases in which the distinction between the two forms,
>so similar in sound, had been lost before the time of the Masoretes or
>was incorrectly reconstructed by them. That is the simplest
>explanation of the wayyiqtol/weyiqtol doublet in 2 Samuel 22 and Psalm
>18, and perhaps of a number of other non-past wayyiqtols (not of
>course all the non-sequential ones we argued about recently). On the
>other hand, I have also argued recently on this list that poetry may
>have a different use of verb forms from prose because it represents a
>different stage of development of Hebrew, and no-one has answered my
>argument. In my recent posting I was considering mainly prose as in
>the 2 Kings and Isaiah passages in question. The statistics may work
>differently in poetry. I would be interested in a breakdown of the
>ones you gave between prose and poetry.
>
>You wrote: "Because the supposed opposition between yiqtol/weyiqtol
>and wayyiqtol is non-orthographic and is based upon the function of
>the forms, we must demand that a difference of function is
>consistently followed throughout the Bible." Why? Well, I don't accept
> [...]

Dear Peter,

Your post above demonstrates that our linguistic methods and approaches are
fundamentally different. I am aware that language is not perfect and
neither were the copyists. With the study of Hebrew verbs, however, I find
the typical situation related to the scientific revolutions mentioned by
Thomas Kuhn. In time, more and more data accumulate against a scientific
paradigm (model), but it is explained away ad hoc. So, by the same forces
which are behind a religious revival, the paradigm changes and a new one
enters the scene.

I do not feel well with suggestions that the Masoretes probably made errors
regarding the data speaking against the traditional model: I accept the
possibility, but would like to see it demonstrated before I accept it.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever demonstrated that the meaning
of verbs is different in poetry that in prose. If you have some references,
I appreciate that. I would also add that to date portions of the text on
linguistic grounds, is extremely difficult if not impossible, perhaps
except the latest books.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli