b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: Loren Crow <lorencrow AT earthling.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:26
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 10:43:56 +1100

Loren Crow wrote:

> Not angels, certainly, but the HB is not unambiguous on the matter of who
> is there when God creates. Prov 8:22-31, particularly v. 30, may very well
> have Dame Wisdom there assisting God in creation. She's certainly there,
> at least.

Interesting suggestion, Loren. But Dame Wisdom doesn't have any place in the
Genesis narratives. It
seems too great a jump outside the context to include her as having any part
to play in Genesis.

> Even in Gen 1:27 and 5:1-2, the "image of God" is a plurality of
> beings, both male and female. It may very well be that we have in both of
> these texts a remnant of (what is clearly demonstrated as a possibility by
> the archaeological record) the co-creatorship of Yahweh and his consort.
> In other words, they may *very easily* be "inconsistent with other parts of
> OT theology."

We must also consider the evidence of Gen 11:7 where YHWH speaks a similar
statement of intent. I
suggest that this is simply the way the Israelite/Jewish deity addressed
himself when he makes a
statement of intent. It is not restricted only to uses of ELOHIM - it occurs
with usage of YHWH
also. In 11:8, the statement is that YHWH goes down and confuses men's
language. No other entity is
mentioned in this action. It just seems to be the way Yahweh-god speaks to
himself and makes up his
mind.

> And you can put those $.02 in the bank! ;-)

Ditto.

Best regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Dept of Semitic Studies,
University of Sydney
- Email: gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm