b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: lorencrow AT earthling.net (Loren Crow)
  • To: Doug Kasten <doug.kasten AT juno.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:26
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:34:23 -0600

At 9:29 AM 2/26/99, Doug Kasten wrote:
>If the associate in question thinks that 'we' refers to God and the
>angels, that would make angels co-creators with God, no? I have a hard
>time suggesting that it be translated in such a way as to make Gen1:26
>inconsistent with other parts of OT theology in this language.

Not angels, certainly, but the HB is not unambiguous on the matter of who
is there when God creates. Prov 8:22-31, particularly v. 30, may very well
have Dame Wisdom there assisting God in creation. She's certainly there,
at least. Even in Gen 1:27 and 5:1-2, the "image of God" is a plurality of
beings, both male and female. It may very well be that we have in both of
these texts a remnant of (what is clearly demonstrated as a possibility by
the archaeological record) the co-creatorship of Yahweh and his consort.
In other words, they may *very easily* be "inconsistent with other parts of
OT theology."

And you can put those $.02 in the bank! ;-)

Loren

# Loren D. Crow, Ph.D. ++ Office Phone: (903) 927-3219 #
# Department of Religion ++ Fax: (903) 927-3337 #
# Wiley College ++ #
# 711 Wiley Avenue ++ Email: lorencrow AT earthling.net #
# Marshall, TX 75670 ++ Web: http://www.texramp.net/~lorencrow #

Even God cannot change the past.
- Agathon (quoted by Aristotle, NE 6:2,1139)