b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Brady R. Johnson" <brady AT seanet.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:26
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:23:22 -0800

According to Jewish reading of Gen. 1:26, the use of the plural means that
God consulted with the angels. The angels are not co-creators, nor is
there a plurality of deities engaged in creation. The commentary to
Stone's Tenach says this:

----------------
Targum Yonasan paraphrases: "And God said to the ministering angels who
had been created on the second day of Creation of the world, 'Let us make
Man.'"

When Moses wrote the Torah and came to this vers (let us make), which is in
the plural and implies that there is more than one Creator, he said:
"Sovereign of the Universe! Why do You furnish a pretext for heretics to
maintain that there is a plurality of divinities?" "Write!" God replied.
"Whoever wishes to err will err ... Instead, let them learn from their
Creator Who created all, yet when He came to create Man He took counsel
with the ministering angels" (Midrash).

I have heard about a Christian interpretation that views this passage as
referring to the trinity, but I don't know where it originated or how
current it is. I do know that there are some who still assert that
interpretation however.

Brady Johnson