b-hebrew - Re: wayyiqtol test

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: wayyiqtol test
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 16:05:33 -0500

Hi Dave, you wrote:

> Bryan:
> > Now look at real BH, 1 Ki 6:9
> >
> > vayiben 'et habayit vay:kalehu
> >
> > Does it blow away the perfectivity of wayyiqtol or the sequentiality of
> > wayyiqtol? Maybe. I think it's counter-evidence. "John built the
house,

> I'm fuzzy here (sorry); which view do you think it's counter-evidence
> to?

It appears to be against the view that the wayyiqtol is perfective and
sequential.

> > and then he finished it" doesn't sound like good English. But the
> > counter-example is weakened a bit by the possibility that it is
hendiadys.
> > Even in English, although "John built and finished the house" sounds a
bit
> > weird in isolation, it might fly in a context in which one wants to
> > emphasize that the end point of the activity is reached. That is just
the
> > kind of emphasis I think the writer is achieving in 1 Ki 6:9.
>

> or something similar. Do you know of some other examples of
> hendiadys of this type using two WP's? That would go a long way
> toward establishing your interpretation.

Gen 2:1, 39:32, Exo 40:33. Deu 32:45, 2 Sam 6:18--but I'd like to chage my
hendiadys-idea. In most of these cases, the wayyiqtol of klh tells of the
end of a long, complicated task. Even when the last step was completed and
the endpoint of the project had been achieved, the reader may not be sure
that the entire task is over or whether more steps may follow, so the "and
he finished..." i s indeed helpful. The Deu 32 example, about the singing
of a song, is a little different. It seems natural to avoid saying, "he
sang a song, and he finished it." But one song is often repeated, right,
as part of one complete situation? That might have something to do with
the need for "and he finished" in Deu 32:45.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor