b-hebrew - Re: X-Qatal & Storyline

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: X-Qatal & Storyline
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:27:08 -0500

Dear Paul & Yochanan,
An x-qatal is any clause/sentence where any element precedes a qatal verb.
This includes nouns, adverbs, prepositional phrases, and particles. Normally,
1) when x is a particle (ki, or asher) the x-qatal is "retrospective."
2) when x begins a narrative (before any wayyiqtol) it is antecedent.
3) when x is within a narrative it presents recovered information.
See Niccacci Sections 8, 15-21
Lee R. Martin