b-hebrew - Re[2]: X-Qatal & Storyline

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: X-Qatal & Storyline
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:18:18 -0500 (EST)

Maybe this is X-qatal, and maybe this explanation is correct. Dave
Washburn's suggestion is also interesting.

But also there is textual doubt here (see BHS footnotes): apparently
one Hebrew MS with support from LXX reads ("BER "region beyond" rather
than (FBAR "passed on" (qatal). Several MSS and ancient versions add
)EL- "to". So we could read "he passed through Mizpeh of Gilead, and
from Mizpeh of Gilead to the other side of (the camp of) the sons of
Ammon." This actually makes more sense than the MT; but one can see
why (in a later period when X-qatal was the simple past tense) the
consonants (BR were read as (FBAR to match the verb used twice already
in the verse.

So my hypothesis is not falsified yet!

Peter Kirk