b-hebrew - Re: Re[4]: X-Qatal & Storyline

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[4]: X-Qatal & Storyline
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:56:41 -0700

Peter,
> My point was to show that the reading was doubtful. I will leave the
> choice of emendation (or not) to others. I was not going along with
> the major change proposed in BHS, merely with the evidence quoted,
> which as far as I can understand it is for ("BER rather than (FBAR. (I
> am translating "prb dl et postea l" in the BHS footnote as "probably
> delete and afterwards read" and taking the text in the footnote as an
> alternative to the following three Hebrew words - this agrees with
> LXX.) I think I would lean towards the consonantal text of BHS with
> this one change of pointing, and like you explain the )EL- as a later
> addition. But I don't claim to be an expert on this.

I apologize if my post carried a tone that I didn't intend. You're
right that the text is tenuous, and grammatical conclusions we
draw from it must be equally so. I took "postea" to mean "in its
place," but looking at the placement of the note etc. again I see
you're right, and I stand corrected.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur