b-hebrew - Re: Unloading the Burden

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Will Wagers" <hyle AT gte.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Unloading the Burden
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:31:25 -0600

Dear Dr. Barre,

> In short, I am calling for an assessment of my proposition that El and
> Yahweh are historically the two gods of two distinct peoples.

I don't find the proposition to be particularly outrageous, revolutionary,
or even original. In fact, until the discussions on this list, I was unaware
that everyone didn't use it as a point of departure. As you say, it seems
self-evident. It is a common trick of a conquering people to attach the
mythology of the god in whose name they conquer to that of the indigenous
god, ala the Aztecs. (Or, even as Jesus was attached to the OT Hebrew God
and the Greek Logos.)

Rather, I think it is the smug, in-your-face presentation of your
proposition which provokes much of the opposition to your proposals.

And, in my opinion, this is not an appropriate topic for B-Hebrew.

In spite of all this, I wish you well in your researches.