b-hebrew - X + qatal (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Silberman, Alfred" <alfred.silberman AT lmco.com>
  • To: "'Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG'" <Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: X + qatal (Peter)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 08:34:33 -0500

An interesting example of this may exist in Iyyov 22:13:
"Ve'amarta" here has the past tense form. While the accent on the
word is not clearly indicated - it is a 'dekhi" and not placed on the
accented syllable - the word has an ultimate stress (I infer this from the
metheg found in some manuscripts). The prefix vav is taken as a Vav
Hahippukh by the targum and the future tense in the Aramaic is used.
However, in English, the two translations I checked - JPS and Koren - use
the present tense for forming the proper English sentence.

Alfred Silberman
alfred.silberman AT lmco.com

  • X + qatal (Peter), Silberman, Alfred, 02/10/1999