b-hebrew - Re: Eccl 9:10a--word order & accenting

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Eccl 9:10a--word order & accenting
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:32:54 -0700

Trevor,
> The first clause of Eccl 9:10 reads:
>
> KOL (:A$ER TIMCF) YFD:KF LA(:A&OWT B:KOX:AKF (:A&"H
>
> The Masoretic accenting, contrary to most English versions, groups
> B:KOX:AKF with LA(:A&OWT instead of with (:A&"H. In terms of immediate
> context, it can modify either the infinitive ("to do with your strength")
> or the imperative ("with your strength do"). And conceivably, it could
> be intended to go with both. But if forced to choose one or the other,
> I'm personally leaning toward agreement with the Masoretic accenting.
> Particularly, I have it in mind that it would stand better at the
> beginning of the clause to modify the main verb, although that would
> result in a juxtaposition of the infinitive and imperative (which
> admittedly does seem a bit odd).

I confess I have difficulty understanding why B:KOX:AKF is there at
all if it's modifying the infinitive. It looks to me as though this goes
more naturally with the imperative, and is placed at the beginning of
the clause for emphasis: colloquially, "Give it all you've got." I'm
not sure how to make good sense of "Whatever your hand finds to
do with your strength..." I'd lean toward the way our English
versions have it.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur