b-hebrew - Eccl 9:10a--word order & accenting

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor M Peterson <spedrson AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Eccl 9:10a--word order & accenting
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 21:35:44 EST

The first clause of Eccl 9:10 reads:

KOL (:A$ER TIMCF) YFD:KF LA(:A&OWT B:KOX:AKF (:A&"H

The Masoretic accenting, contrary to most English versions, groups
B:KOX:AKF with LA(:A&OWT instead of with (:A&"H. In terms of immediate
context, it can modify either the infinitive ("to do with your strength")
or the imperative ("with your strength do"). And conceivably, it could
be intended to go with both. But if forced to choose one or the other,
I'm personally leaning toward agreement with the Masoretic accenting.
Particularly, I have it in mind that it would stand better at the
beginning of the clause to modify the main verb, although that would
result in a juxtaposition of the infinitive and imperative (which
admittedly does seem a bit odd).

Any thoughts? The LXX seems to have been rendered in such a literal way
as to allow for either possibility, so that's not much help.

Thanks,

Trevor Peterson
Bible/Theology Department
Washington Bible College
Lanham, MD

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]