b-hebrew - Re: Q-T-L vs. Q-T-F

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Q-T-L vs. Q-T-F
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:36:15 -0700

> Just wondering: obviously, as a conjugation base, anything would be
> preferable to Qal
> or Pa'al, but why did y'all choose Qof-Tet-Lamed as opposed to another
> shlemim root.
> Is it a tip of the hat to ol' Qal?

From what I understand, Q+L is one of those verbs that my
classical Greek teacher called "disgustingly regular," which is to
say that all its forms are so "normal" that it is a great base for
demonstrating the behavior, pointing etc. of the various stems,
tenses, moods and everything else. A friend of mine found it
curious that languages such as Hebrew and Koine Greek have as
their "most regular" paradigm verbs words that mean "kill" (Hebrew)
and "destroy" (Greek)!

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur

  • Q-T-L vs. Q-T-F, Yochanan Childs, 02/07/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Q-T-L vs. Q-T-F, Dave Washburn, 02/09/1999