b-hebrew - Re: The Origins of the United Monarchy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Origins of the United Monarchy
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 11:31:58 -0500 (EST)

Dear Ian,

What do you mean by "historically contemporary sources"? Inscriptions,
clay tablets etc? If so, there are no "historically contemporary
sources" from the (alleged) united monarchy period to support united
monarchy, divided monarchy, or any sort of monarchy, tribal federation
or republic! Archaeology doesn't usually answer political questions.
If we discount the historical documents, as I think you are doing, the
whole period becomes a blank about which speculation is a waste of
time.

So how do you account for the later conviction that there had been a
united people of Israel, a united religion and a united monarchy,
given that there was no sign of such unity in post-exilic times (with
the Samaritans being opposed to the Jews=Judeans) any more than in
late pre-exilic times?

Peter