b-hebrew - Re[2]: The Origins of the United Monarchy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: The Origins of the United Monarchy
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 12:47:43 -0500 (EST)

Well, indeed, the biblical narrative makes it clear that not all Jews
accepted the exclusivist position of Deuteronomy, Josiah, Jeremiah etc
before the exile, and of Nehemiah etc afterwards. So the Elephantine
Jews were from one of these less exclusive or syncretistic groups. I
doubt if they got a positive answer from the Jerusalem establishment
of Haggai and Zechariah's time.

Peter Kirk