b-hebrew - SV: The Origins of the United Monarchy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SV: The Origins of the United Monarchy
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 12:58:01 +0100

Yes, I had an exchange with Avi Hurvitz on the dating of Late
Biblical Hebrew in a seminar in Jerusalem last year. I was not terribly
aware of any discomfort, however, Hurvitz and I seem to agree on a number of
issues: a) While Late Biblical Hebrew seems late, classical biblical Hebrew
has not a clearly datable ad quem and can not be identified clearly as
early.
b) What you refer to as "layers" are not clearly tied to absolute
chronology, but could be partially do to geographic and social factors.
c) The chronology which Hurvitz uses is not an absolute chronology,
but one based on classical historical criticism, which relative chronology,
however, is still under serious debate (e.g., Schmid, Van Seters, etc.)

Now there are also a number of disagreements as well, including
something so nebulous as the term "minimalists" when referring to very
different scholarly discussions and arguments.

p.s. I am unaware of anything devastating that Rainey has written (Do you
have a reference?).

Thomas

Thomas L. Thompson
Professor, University of Copenhagen