b-hebrew - Re: Qatal, 1 Kings 11:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Qatal, 1 Kings 11:1
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:13:31 -0700

Peter wrote:
> If we follow the regular understanding of N + qatal in 1 Kings 11:1,
> the point is not that Solomon "had a thing for" foreign women or
> "habitually fell in love with them". I guess that would require a
> participle. Here, rather, the sense is pluperfect: at some time
> previous to the events described in the previous passage, Solomon "had
> fallen in love with" many foreign women and so was, at the narrative
> time, in a state of love regarding them - cf an English or Greek
> perfect or pluperfect tense.

I'm inclined to think this is putting more on the verb form than it can
bear. Per Bryan's approach, it looks more to me as though it's
saying "Solomon was in love with many foreign women" in a stative
sense, i.e. it described the state of his heart in a sort of "this is
how he was" manner.

Indeed, they had become his wives and
> concubines. I understand Bryan's conception of the qatal as stative as
> relating in that way to its pluperfect "flashback" sense - is that
> right, Bryan? Maybe the older grammarians were not as wrong as we
> sometimes think in calling the qatal form "perfect".

I'm not convinced that Bryan's approach includes the pluperfect
idea. This need not be part of the stative concept. To say
something like "he was old" or "he was tall" or "he was an
Edomite" need not include the pluperfect notions "he became old
and was now in a state of being old" etc.

> On the other hand there are cases where qatal cannot be stative e.g.
> Exodus 36:11 where wayyiqtol and qatal are parallel. Or is Bryan
> suggesting that all such cases are late?

In addition to Bryan's reply, I would simply note that the qatal
clause begins with K"N, which eliminates a WP from possible use
and indicates a kind of subordinate clause, sort of an aside,
emphasizing "he did this same thing." The meaning of K"N
indicates that he did nothing different on the other curtain, he made
it just like the first. There's no indication of sequence or non-
sequence between the two curtains; he may have made first one
and then the other, or he may have worked on both at the same
time. It really doesn't matter to the writer here, the important thing
is that he made them both the same.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur