b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: Qatal, 1 Kings 11:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: Qatal, 1 Kings 11:1
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:39:11 -0500

B-Haverim,

I think it's worth differentiating between X-qatal clauses in the following
two series in *historical narrative*:

1. X-qatal--->wayyiqtol

2. wayyiqtol--->X-qatal

Series (1), when found at the beginning of a narrative paragraph (anywhere
in a pericope), will give antecedent information, describing the situation
at the time when the following wayyiqtol pushes the narrative time forward.
I think this is your pluperfect idea, Peter.

In (2), the X-qatal gives simultaneous (with the preceding wayyiqtol)
information. It functions as a topicalizing clause; that is, it shifts the
focus of the narrative from the layout of a plotline to the layout of
information which clarifies, contrasts with, or is simulataneous with the
plotline. Is pluperfect an accurate characterization of X-qatal in this
second series? Doesn't seem quite right to me.

In BH narrative text we often see the pattern
wayyiqtol-->(w)X-qatal-->wayyiqtol. If there is indeed a difference in
function between series (1) and series (2) above, we must then be able to
tell whether an X-qatal which is, in text, sandwiched between wayyiqtols is
linked back to the preceding wayyiqtol or forward to the following. Does
the question mark below show the dilemma well enough?

wayyiqtol--->(w)X-qatal--->wayyiqtol
<----?---->

Semantics and world knowledge must come into play because we must be able
to find the boundaries of narrative paragraphs. A new paragraph is
signaled by a shift of the narrative to a new setting a change in cast of
characters. If an X-qatal clause aids in creating this shift, it is
paragraph-initial. We can then determine whether an X-qatal is linked
'forward' or 'backward' by how it fits one of the following descriptions.

SERIES TYPE (1):

--->wayyiqtol | (w)X-qatal---> wayyiqtol

setting (a) | setting (b) and/or
character set (a) | character set (b)

paragraph
boundary