b-hebrew - Re[2]: Qatal, 1 Kings 11:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Qatal, 1 Kings 11:1
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 22:52:58 -0500 (EST)

Let me clarify this. As I understand it, according to the widely
accepted discourse analysis understanding, in a historical narrative
(carried on mainly by a sequence of wayyiqtols) the form X + qatal (X
may be a noun, but also e.g. LO' as in Jdg 13:2) indicates a
background event or one which happened before the main time line
event, but resulting in a state of affairs which is relevant to the
time line. From one viewpoint, this is "stative". From another
viewpoint, this is "perfect" according to the definition "a present
state resulting from a past action" (Wenham, "NT Greek", p.139). In
English translation, as the time line is translated with a simple
past, the background is often translated with a pluperfect, or with
"was" and a stative expression. In this sense I see "stative" and
"pluperfect" as almost equivalent.

This point is perhaps illustrated better with stative verbs like
"stand", "sit". In Azerbaijani these are expressed only with a perfect
participle "having stood up", "having sat down" and a copula. In NT
Greek these are expressed by perfect forms HESTEKA, KATHEMAI; and even
the stative "I know" is a perfect form: OIDA = "I have seen/come to
know". The Hebrew idiom is not so clear to me, but it might be
instructive to correlate "stative" and "fientive" uses of (MD and Y$B
with qatal, yiqtol, participles etc.

There is one possible difference which could help to decide whether
qatal is more "stative" or more "pluperfect"; that is the question of
whether the described state has come into existence or has existed in
eternity past. Since love is eternal only in the Godhead, "Solomon was
in love" is equivalent to "Solomon had started to love", and the
difference from "Solomon had fallen in love" is at most a rather
subtle one (and it surely overloads the verb here to insist that it
means one rather than the other). Can anyone find examples of X +
qatal (where the qatal cannot be a participle) for a truly eternal
state - or even a very ancient one? If this is not found, or rare, it
would back up my "pluperfect" idea; if it is common, then X + qatal is
perhaps more "stative".

Peter Kirk