b-hebrew - Re: Why Not? (Jonathan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Why Not? (Jonathan)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:16:35 +0000

At 06:53 PM 1/27/99, you wrote:

[snipped]

>John Bright
> in his /History of Israel/, SCM, 1960, seems to find the subject coherent
> although he admits the difficulties. For Egyptology I learned from Sir
> Alan Gardiner, /Egypt of the Pharaohs/, Oxford, 1961. David Rohl threw a
> substantial "cat" among the "pigeons" with his /A Test of Time/, Arrow
> Books, 1995; I'm still trying to digest it! [How does a pygmy eat an
> elephant? - one mouthful at a time!]
>
> All the archaeologists who have investigated Jericho have commented upon
> the extreme denudation of the site; it does not yield its secrets easily.
> I'm awaiting the reports from the recent Italian expedition. Even so, I'm
> sure that even that won't be the definitive "final answer"!
>
> JEDP still lives on, despite the labours of e.g. Ken Kitchen in /Ancient
> Orient and Old Testament/, Tyndale Press, 1966, in pulling the Wellhausian
> rug out from under it. I am not competent to referee the discussions on
> this List by people who are more knowledgeable than I: which is why I
> remain here to read all your posts.
>
> Shalom,
> Ben

Ben, I appreciate your bibliographic references, but they are rather out of
date. You might want to take a look at something a little more recent in
the field of OT studies. Just as all knowledge progresses, so does our
knowledge of the Old Testament. And just as we cannot rely on the medical
manuals of the early 60's for treatment of diseases- neither should we lean
all our weight on the crutch of Bright and his lot.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology