b-hebrew - RE: ex 26 + 36.8ff

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Silberman, Alfred" <alfred.silberman AT lmco.com>
  • To: "'Bryan Rocine'" <596547 AT ican.net>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "'yochanan bitan'" <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • Subject: RE: ex 26 + 36.8ff
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:34:39 -0500

Dear Bryan,
I apologize for my brevity. Your assumption is correct. Randall's
statement was expressing my sentiments exactly. I really don't wish to enter
this debate from a technical point of view. However, what I think Randall
was saying - and applies on a practical level to all the people I know who
deal with this material as part of their lifestyle - is that the people
actually conversant with this text do not find any semantic coding in the
differences between the "yiqtol and weqatal" when dealing with "p'shat"
(plain meaning of the text).

My above statement does not apply to "d'rash" (exegesis). The Talmud
uses these fine differences in deriving Jewish Law.

Regards,
Al

[snip]