b-hebrew - Re: Why Not? (Jonathan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Why Not? (Jonathan)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:25:19 +0200

Jim West wrote:

> The problem is that:
> 1- there is no historical evidence that "david" conquered the city.
> 2- That his sons were priests.
> 3- that melchiz. was an historical personage
> 4- that the narrative of the dtr "historian" is historical!
>
> In short- what you have done is simply adopted the biblical narrative as an
> historical description of actual fact. But archaeology and near eastern
> history know nothing of these events. The material culture of Jerusalem was
> not changed in any respect in the 10th century bce. If "david" conquered
> the city, where is the inevitable cultural material which would demark
> inhabitation by a new population?

Dear Jim,
There may not be any external corroborating evidence for any of this, but
when when we
learn from the Biblical narrative that David's sons were priests - a direct
contradiction of Pentateuchal law and of later Israelite and later Jewish
custom (the
Hasmoneans WERE of priestly lineage); and when we learn from the Biblical
narrative
that the Davidic kings were priest-kings who owed their legitimacy, in part
to the
Divine promise in Ps. 110 that they were the legitimate heirs to the
CANAANITE,
JEBUSITE (my caps) legacy - again in direct contradiction to much of the
Torah and
other parts of the Bible - then we should give serious consideration to the
possibility that we are reading authentic historical information.

What Second Temple Jewish author, writing at a time when the Torah was
becoming, or
had already become, the accepted code for all Jews, would have dared written
such
heresies?
Yours,
Jonathan D. Safren