b-hebrew - Re[2]: Why Not? (Jonathan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Why Not? (Jonathan)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:16:05 -0500 (EST)

Jim's question may be rhetorical, but he invites a suggested literal
answer: Under the platform of Herod's temple which remains today and
cannot be excavated. OK, it is not clear from the biblical narrative
that this was built on before Solomon's time, but given the small area
of the original city, and the fact that Jebusites continued to live
there, no doubt any major building work and "material culture" of
David's time was on the northern hill.

Two witnesses may be a good principle, even an essential one for a
legal prosecution. But how much would be know about any ancient
history if we only accepted data for which we had two independent
witnesses? In fact we might find ourselves in the interesting position
of accepting the existence of only those kings of Assyria, Babylonia
etc who are mentioned in the Bible! - as surely their own boasting of
their achievements, however many copies survive, is only a single
witness.

Peter Kirk