b-hebrew - Re: Why Not? (Jonathan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Why Not? (Jonathan)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 99 18:23:41

On Mon 25 Jan 99 (16:58:25 +0200), yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il wrote:
> What bothers me about your hypothesis is Ps. 110, a First-Temple psalm
> in which the Davidic king receives an oracle guaranteeing him the
> Melchitzedek priesthood (and perhaps making him the adopted son of
> YHWH, if that reconstruction of the text is correct), making the whole
> Melchitzedek tradition in Gen. 14 quite early. Abraham, as eponymic
> ancestor of the later United Kingdom of Israel under the Davidic
> dynasty, receives the blessing of the king of Jerusalem, David's future
> capital.

Dear Jonathan,

Though trying to follow this thread, I'm floundering somewhat out of my
depth! Is it not the case that David, when he finally conquered the
stronghold of Zion ("City of David"), 2 Samuel 5:7-9, then made his sons
priests KoHa:NiYM, 2 Samuel 8:18? So then there is a continuous Royal
Priesthood in [Jeru]Salem in a line from Melchitsedek, Genesis 14:18,
through Adonitsedek, Joshua 10:1, to David and his sons (2 Samuel 8:18;
Psalm 110:4).

Just a thought...
Shalom
Ben