b-hebrew - Hasmonean priest/kings

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Hasmonean priest/kings
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:58:12 +0000

Jonathan is right to point out the fact that the Hasmoneans ruled as
king/priests. What I would suggest is that, instead of pointing to an
ancient source for the story of David's sons being priests- what we have
here is a contemporaneous (Hasmonean era) effort to justify the Hasmonean
practice.

Briefly put- in the period of the Hasmoneans the Bible was being composed
and the traditions assembled. In that time there were "Levites" struggling
for position. They were responsible for the "traditions" regarding the
Levitical priesthood. On the other side were the Hasmoneans and their
loyalists. They were responsible for the "david's sons as priests" side of
the debate.

What we see in the conflict between the pro levitical forces and the pro
monarchy forces is a lively and ongoing debate from the Hasmonean period.

Thus, instead of demonstrating antiquity- what the story of David's priestly
kids illustrates is anything but an ancient recollection. Jonathan's
suggestion thereby being turned on its head.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology

jwest AT highland.net
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

  • Hasmonean priest/kings, Jim West, 01/27/1999