b-hebrew - Re: Enuma Elish

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: iriegner AT concentric.net, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Enuma Elish
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 13:05:14 +0200

Irene Riegner wrote:

> Can we understand the cosmic perspective of Gen 1 as an expansion
> of the perspective of Gen 2, which focuses on the earth? Gen 1
> responds to the more cosmic concerns of the Assyrian and Babylonian
> myths and represents an expanded Israelite/Judahite perspective and
> response to the influence of a foreign culture.

Dear Irene,

I would rather follow the canonical order and see Genesis 2 narrowing
the focus of Genesis 1. This of course involves interpreting Genesis 2
in light of Genesis 1, which can yield interesting results. E.g.
Genesis 2 provides a nice commentary on the repeated Genesis 1
statements "God saw that it was good," for in Genesis 2 God says there
is something that is "not good" (that Adam should be alone). In light
of Genesis 1, the statement that it is "not good" for Adam to be alone
implies that the whole universe (sun, moon, stars, the vast expanse of
land and seas and all that is in them) cannot be pronounced "very good"
because there is one lack - there is no woman. In light of Genesis 1,
then, Eve is seen as the pinacle of God's creation in a way that would
not be seen just examining Genesis 2 by itself.

Yours,

John Ronning