b-hebrew - Re: Enuma Elish

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Irene Riegner <iriegner AT concentric.net>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Enuma Elish
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 15:41:48 -0500

Dear Irene,
I agree with you to a certain extent, but you say that God creates
"through a process of separation." That is only partially accurate.
The "heavens" are created from nothing. God says "Let light be; and
light was." He also said, "Let there be lights..." The text seems to
say that light, the sun, the moon, and the stars were created from
nothing. What do you think?

Lee R. Martin

P.S. Creation "ex nihilo" is not universal in Greek thought. As I
mentioned in another post, "Chaos" was both an early god, and later
Ovid saw Chaos as the original disordered and formless mass, from which
the maker of the Cosmos produced the ordered universe.