b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1-2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: "Ken Litwak" <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1-2
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 09:05:02 -0500

Dear Ken,

You are correct. I would describe Gen. 1:1-3 as follows:

Verse 1 functions as a heading and sets the scene: The creative acts of God.
Verse 2 describes the state of the earth when it is first created.
1- it is an uninhabited wilderness
(this is the meaning of the hendiadys: ToHu VaVoHu)
2- darkness was covering the deep
3- the Spirit of Yahweh is hovering over the waters
(participle)
There is no indication how long this state continued.
Verse 3 begins the narrative of subsequent creative actions that culminates
in the making of humanity in the image of God.

Yes, ToHu can mean chaos or vanity, but it basically connotes emptiness,
thus uninhabitedness.

It seems to me that Gen. 1 presents God's creative work in steps or stages,
a progression that reaches a climax. This climax tells the reader that
humanity was created with significance, not by accident or chance.

I would suggest you read journal articles by Bruce Waltke on Gen. 1. I do
not remember the specific bibliographic data. Niccacci also addresses the
nature of v. 1 as setting, noting that BeReShiT is in construct.