b-hebrew - Re: Exodus 3:14 and John 8:58

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • To: LBR AT sprynet.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Exodus 3:14 and John 8:58
  • Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 12:07:40 EST

In a message dated 12/24/98 11:09:51 PM Pacific Standard Time, LBR AT sprynet.com
writes:

<<
Since it is rather unlikely that the narrator was present at the inteview, or
had seen a record taken down by someone who was, as a historical matter it
seems to me that all we can speak of is the intentions of the author. This
is
especially so in view of the fact that there I do not believe that there is
much reason to think that in terms of Jewish law such a claim was one that
would be punished.

Lewis Reich >>

Dear Lewis:

Why is it unlikely that the narrator had a record of the events?

Of course, the Jewish religious leaders who opposed Jesus hardly needed an
explicit statement in their law to condemn Jesus, after all, what law did they
have to justify their intention of killing Lazarus? (John 12:10) Also, it is
not at all far-fetched to think that a claim to the office of Messiah, by a
man whom they perceived to be demonized, would be considered blasphemous.

Greg Stafford