b-hebrew - Re: Exodus 3:14 and John 8:58

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <LBR AT sprynet.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Exodus 3:14 and John 8:58
  • Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 02:05:57 -0500

On 24 Dec 98, at 17:04, Greg Stafford wrote:

> The high priest's reaction shows that his claim to be the Messiah/Christ/Son
> of the Blessed was rejected, and that a claim to such a sacred office by a
> man
> whom they believe to be demonized (John 8:48) was to be punished with the
> greatest severity.

Since it is rather unlikely that the narrator was present at the inteview, or
had seen a record taken down by someone who was, as a historical matter it
seems to me that all we can speak of is the intentions of the author. This
is
especially so in view of the fact that there I do not believe that there is
much reason to think that in terms of Jewish law such a claim was one that
would be punished.

Lewis Reich
LBR AT sprynet.com