b-hebrew - Re: how does it taste?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "yochanan bitan" <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: how does it taste?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 13:05:00 -0500

boqer tov, Haver,

I'll pose a situation, too. I am a student reading Gen 32:27 lo'
'a$alexaka ki 'im berak:tani. i know that the early lessons you describe
below are defensible as appropriately "reductionist" at the early stages of
a student's development in BH, but now i have a bad taste in my mouth. why
isn't berak:tani a prefixed form? the text is telling me the suffix form
means something other than past. how do you sweeten the case?

shalom,
Bryan