b-hebrew - Re: Discourse in Numbers

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Discourse in Numbers
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 08:58:49 -0500

Dear Bryan,
The yiqtols in vv. 23, 29, and 35 do not look like jussives to me. It would
have been very simple to make them jussives by placing them in first
position. They do not seem to be modal IMHO. They are either habitual past
actions, or (as I prefer) future actions in relation to the time of the
setting, namely the census.

Lee R. Martin