b-hebrew - Re: Discourse in Numbers

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Discourse in Numbers
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 16:36:41 -0500

hi Lee,

yes that makes sense. and there is still the context to account for. it
is, after all, a passage describing a program rather than a history. it is
essentially expository. so how about this translation of v. 29 as a for
instance: "as for the families of the children of Qehat, they were to
encamp..."?

Shalom,
Bryan

----------
> From: Lee R. Martin <lmartin AT vol.com>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
> Subject: Re: Discourse in Numbers
> Date: Tuesday, December 08, 1998 8:58 AM
>
> Dear Bryan,
> The yiqtols in vv. 23, 29, and 35 do not look like jussives to me. It
would
> have been very simple to make them jussives by placing them in first
> position. They do not seem to be modal IMHO. They are either habitual
past
> actions, or (as I prefer) future actions in relation to the time of the
> setting, namely the census.
>
> Lee R. Martin

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor