b-hebrew - Re: Discourse in Numbers

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Discourse in Numbers
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 22:58:49 -0500

hi Peter,

the common framework in the historical books is the Historical Narrative
genre(wayyiqtol mainline) which we may think of as divided into episodes.
embedded within the Historical Narrative framework are other genres, the
most conspicuous being the direct speech genres. Expository
Discourse(verbless clause mainline) is often embedded in scene-setting
sections of Historical Narrative. very simply and schematically like so...

__A Historical Narrative Episode______

| __Expository Discourse_____
| |
| |________________________
|
| __Direct Speech__________
| |
| |________________________

V ...and on it goes...

But I think we may have a nearly opposite arrangement in Num 3 which is
essentially expository. we might call the whole thing a "program," that
is, names with their job descriptions and camping orders, with a little
embedded blurb about how they got their jobs.

__3:1-3 begin the *Expository framework* w/ verbless clauses

| __3:4-17 embedded Hist. Narr. establishing why the
| | the families were chosen
| |___________________

|__3:18-20 = overview of Levite families framed by "inclusio"
|__3:21-26 = ger$on on the west
|__3:27-32 = q:hat on the south
|__3:33-37 = m:rariy on the north
|__3:38 until yamut = mo$eh v:'aharon on the east

| __yamut clause = embedded predictive clause confirming the
| |_____________ serious penalty for violating the given order

|___3:39 number totals given to close this expository section

i'm sure you have noticed that the ger$on, q:hat, and m:rariy "paragraphs"
are constructed in parallel, each giving, in order, number in the family,
location of the family, and service of the family. you ask specifically
about the yiqtols in vv. 23, 29, 35. they are jussives. each "paragraph"
which is devoted to a family therefore contains an embedded command form
telling where they are to encamp.

btw, what's with this term, "discourse types"? what is the tone?

hoping to help, shalom 'ax,
Bryan

----------
> From: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Discourse in Numbers
> Date: Saturday, December 05, 1998 6:00 PM
>
> I wonder if you discourse types can comment on the type of discourse
> found in Numbers 3:17-39. This seems to be characterised by almost no
> finite verbs, just a few participles and the only finite verbs (except
> for a few in subordinate clauses) are wayyihyu (wayyiqtol form) at the
> very beginning; three occurences of yaxanu (yiqtol form) in verses 23,
> 29, 35; and yumat (yiqtol form) in verse 38. Chapter 2, from verse 2
> on, is similar, but there is a speech introducer in verse 1 (though
> NIV closes the quotation marks at the end of verse 2. In chapter 3,
> however, there is no speech introducer after the narrative verse 16.
>
> My question with this passage from chapter 3, especially from verse 21
> on: is this intended to be description by the narrator of what
> happened habitually in the desert, or prediction by Moses or the
> narrator of what would happen in the future, or prescription by YHWH,
> with an implied "YHWH said to Moses" at verse 21 as in verse 40?
> English translations seem confused, mixing "was" description forms and
> "was to" prescription forms; but our draft translation uses a simple
> future like "will". What can anyone recommend?
>
> Peter Kirk

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church