b-hebrew - Re: Discourse in Numbers

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Discourse in Numbers
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 17:50:39 -0500

Dear Peter,
I am not really a discourse type, but I will attempt to outline the passage
for you.
I hope you can understand my outline, but any questions are welcomed.
Lee R. Martin

Numbers 3:1-39
These are the descendants … verbless clause,
heading
when God spoke to Moses provides setting,
past time

2 These are the names of the sons of Aaron: verbless clause
Nadab the first-born, and Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar;

3 these are the names of the sons of Aaron, verbless clause
the anointed priests,
attributive
adjective
whom he had ordained to minister…. qatal, past perfect
tense

4 But Nadab and Abihu died before the LORD … imbedded narrative, past tense

5 And the LORD said to Moses, wayyiqtol,
narrative, setting
is v.1
6 "Bring the tribe of Levi near, imv
and you shall set them before Aaron weqatal,
continues imv
and they shall minister to him. weqatal,
future
7 They shall perform duties for him weqatal, future
8 they shall have charge … weqatal, future
9 And you shall give the Levites … weqatal, future
to Aaron … they are wholly given ptc. as predicate
nominative
10 But Aaron and his sons you shall appoint vav-X-Yiqtol, future
and they shall be priests weqatal,
future
but if any one else comes near vav-X-Yiqtol,
future
he shall be put to death. yiqtol,
future

11 And the LORD said to Moses, wayyiqtol,
subsequent
speech
12 "Behold, I have taken the Levites qatal, past
tense
… The Levites shall be mine, weqatal,
future
13 for all the first-born were mine; verbless
clause,
parenthetical
on the day that I slew …
infinitive,
setting
I consecrated for me all the first-born qatal, past
tense
they shall be mine
yiqtol,
future

14 And the LORD said to Moses wayyiqtol,
subsequent
speech
in the wilderness of Sinai, new
setting,
not same as v.1
15 "Number the sons of Levi, imv
every male … you shall number yiqtol, future
16 So Moses numbered them wayyiqtol,
narrative
as he was commanded. qatal, past
tense

17 And these were the sons of Levi wayyiqtol,
subsequent
narrative
Gershon and Kohath and Merari.

18 And these are the names verbless
clause
of the sons of Gershon
19 And the sons of Kohath
20 And the sons of Merari
These are the families of the Levites. verbless
clause

21 Of Gershon were the family of … verbless clause
these were the families of the Gershonites. verbless clause
22 Their number … was 7500 verbless clause
23 … will encamp behind the tabernacle yiqtol, future
24 with Eliasaph, …as head
25 And the charge of the sons of Gershon
…was the tabernacle verbless

27 Of Kohath were the family of… verbless
these are the families of the Kohathites. verbless
28 there were eight thousand six hundred verbless
29 … will encamp on the south side yiqtol, future
30 with Elizaphan … as head
31 And their charge was the ark verbless
32 And Eleazar … was chief verbless

33 Of Merari were the family of … verbless
these are the families of Merari. verbless
34 Their number … was 6200 verbless
35 And the head … was Zuriel verbless
they will encamp on the north side yiqtol,
future
36 the charge … was the frames verbless

38 And those encamping before the tabernacle ptc., past
continuous
are Moses and Aaron and his sons verbless
clause
having charge of the rites within the sanctuary, ptc., past
continuous

the approaching stranger will be put to death. yiqtol, future

39 All who were numbered of the Levites, ptc.
whom Moses and Aaron numbered qatal, past tense
were twenty-two thousand.
verbless clause