b-hebrew - Re[2]: Translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Translation
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 22:47 -0500 (EST)

Yes, I wrote only about long noses ;---), or perhaps it should have
been long pairs of nostrils ;===). But surely "breather" is not a
literal translation of the Hebrew. Even our friend Fox who likes to
translate nouns as if derived from verbs would find this one hard to
justify, for in b-hebrew there is no verb )NP meaning "breathe", but
only the verb )NP, characterised in the addenda and corrigenda to BDB
(at the foot of the page in the Hendricksen addition) as denominative
from )AP, meaning "be angry". But excuse me for now, after all this
hard work I need to take a long breather...

Peter Kirk