b-hebrew - Re: Translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "T.L. Phillips" <tiphillips AT infoave.net>
  • To: "Irene Riegner" <iriegner AT concentric.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Translation
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:17:15 -0500

This has been my problem with (English) translations, and also Fox but to a
lesser extent. I would like to see the Tanak presented as the non-English,
non-Western document(s) it/they are. Idioms say a lot of how the writers and
their culture thought. They should be retained as much as possible. That's
why I began working on my own translation again. Won't be perfect, maybe not
"flowing verse" but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Fox still makes
too many accommodations.

Shalom,
Tim