b-hebrew - Re: Translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: TL Phillips <tiphillips AT InfoAve.Net>
  • To: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Translation
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 00:33:33 -0500

Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG wrote:

> This sounds a great idea in theory but how far do you take it? Idioms
> from the original often just don't communicate properly. I guess )FP
> taken alone doesn't mean "anger" any more than it means "face", and
> )EREK )APPAYIM is just an idiom... but would you really translate (in
> Exodus 34:6 etc) that YHWH has a long nose?! :-)
>
> Peter Kirk

Well, of course, He does have a long nose. But while I admit that the phrase
is a
little cumbersome, and remembering I said "[idioms] should be retained **as
much as
possible** there can be surely a way to bring out the meaning without
divorcing the
original color.

First of all, I am not sure that )eReK )aPPaYiM means "long-nosed" literally
or
otherwise by the context. Emotions can be displayed by the manner of
breathing ('np)
and the nose(breather?)/ 'p and the speed/length of its breathing is the
indicator.
Can all of that get put in a translation?

YHWH 'El gentle and giving, slow of breaths (or slow of nostrils ; or
"easy-breathing"
:-), full of loving-devotion and faithfulness.

Soooo, maybe this is not as literal as one requires, but it still gives
breathing/nostrils and the correct amount of operation of them to indicate
there is no
angry snorting going on, and instead calmness. This at least gives a little
more of
what was being said than just "slow to anger." I would like to see xariy 'af
brought
across with "burning" breath, or even burning nose/nostrils. You get the
idea. We
don't have to break ears, but a little insight to the expression of the
authors' world
is nice too. Shakespeare it ain't, but it ain't Shakespeare or even
European. :-)

Now whatever I say about translation must be taken in context of a zillion
translations and translators, and that one that sounds perhaps awkward to
English-speaking ears is no threat. A thought ran through my mind
today---there are no
translations, just commentaries. (Two thoughts a day!---B-Hebrew has really
helped
me!!!)

Shabbat Shalom,
Peace on you,