acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] filtering in Semantic MediaWiki Re: catch up on acawiki

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jodi Schneider <jschneider AT pobox.com>
  • To: Christopher Adams <chris AT raysend.com>
  • Cc: "AcaWiki general \(listserv\)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] filtering in Semantic MediaWiki Re: catch up on acawiki
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 23:12:23 -0400

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Christopher Adams <chris AT raysend.com> wrote:
I've been giving this a second look. Any input on how to make it better?

Columns are more scannable, so rather than running things together like this...

0911.0344 (1) · 16th IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, 2004. ICTAI 2004. (1) · 2008 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology (1) · 2010 2nd World Non-Grid-Connected Wind Power and Energy Conference, WNWEC 2010, November 5, 2010 - November 7, 2010 (1) · 2nd International Conference on Computational Models of Argument (COMMA '08) (1) · 40th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, 2007. HICSS 2007.

...we want evenly spaced columns.

The search logic is not evident from the get-go and takes some getting used to.

Agreed! Telling people "get fewer results" or "get more results" (depending on what this will do) would help.

Maybe have a search box (where you could type and start getting autocompletion) based on the metadata (e.g. journal).

The problem is evident... figuring out how to fix it is harder.

Of course, the Journals search should be mutually exclusive (it doesn't make sense to search for an article in Journal A *and* Journal B). For the subject and tasg however you think you would want more control over the boolean logic.

Definitely. But you might want to do an "OR". Nathan also noticed that that this sometimes "OR"s and sometimes "AND"s. I can't explain that!

-Jodi

- Christopher