acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] we can haz Welsh/BibTeX troubles

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jodi Schneider <jschneider AT pobox.com>
  • To: Christopher Adams <christopher AT fabricatorz.com>
  • Cc: "AcaWiki general \(listserv\)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] we can haz Welsh/BibTeX troubles
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 23:13:56 -0400

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Christopher Adams <christopher AT fabricatorz.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Jodi Schneider <jschneider AT pobox.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Jon Phillips <jon AT fabricatorz.com> wrote:
Ok great, Christopher please file this and yes, great to fix....how
broken is it at present? Enough to disable it, or just that case?

BibTeX import is not *very* broken, on the whole. If you look at the bug history, you'll see other issues.

I would agree that it's not exactly broken. There do appear to be some edge cases that it is not handling well. I surmise that it is handling BibTeX macros, but not other macros like \textit or superscript being nested inside BibTeX macros.

The code is readily available, so we can look at improving it to handle these cases:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:BibTexImport

The harder question is what output or final result we could find acceptable. There is no complete mapping between LaTeX and HTML markup, and in any case I'm hardly convinced that it is desirable to preserve HTML tags inside the {{Summary | title= ...}} attribute in AcaWiki.

right, and in fact HTML and Unicode have been some of the major edge cases we've noticed in the past. :) -J