xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] entity in attribute value

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • To: "'Luca Passani'" <passani AT eunet.no>, <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: 'xom-interest' <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] entity in attribute value
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:52:39 -0000

> Thanks Elliotte, but this does not help me. I need to store a
> string which happens to have special meaning for XML. Either
> there is a way to escape it (i.e. tell XML that this string
> does not have the special meaning it thinks it has) or there
> isn't. The latter is still OK. I will work the problem around
> outside of XML and archive this issue in the "XML sucks" folder :)

You can write it as &amp;euro; if you really want to. But why on earth would
you want to use something that looks just like an entity reference but isn't
one?

Every technology sucks if you misuse it. I've got a brand new digital camera
and it's no good at hammering nails. Perhaps the problem is with the user,
not with the technology?

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/