xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] entity in attribute value

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder AT yahoo.com>
  • To: XOM interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] entity in attribute value
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:58:18 -0800 (PST)

--- On Mon, 1/12/09, Luca Passani <passani AT eunet.no> wrote:

> Thanks Elliotte, but this does not help me. I need to store a string
> which happens to have special meaning for XML. Either there is a way to
> escape it (i.e. tell XML that this string does not have the

Regular escaping does get what you seem to want (as was pointed out), but I
am not 100% sure what you want makes sense. :-)

That is: why on earth would some processing require literal string "&euro;"
to denote something? In unescaped form, it has specific meaning for xml
(which is what gave you problem), and escaping it is highly confusing and
misleading. If this is indeed required, whoever defined the xml structure in
use didn't know what he was doing.
This just does not add up.

Could it be that this has something to do with HTML pre-declaring bunch of
named entities? Or someone's idea of emulating that behavior?

-+ Tatu +-