xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] entity in attribute value

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Luca Passani <passani AT eunet.no>
  • To: elharo AT metalab.unc.edu
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] entity in attribute value
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:21:51 +0100

Elliotte Harold wrote:

Use a numeric character reference or the actual character.

Without a DTD how would you expect the XML parser to know what &euro; represents?

so, here is my problem. Some mobile devices will understand the &euro; entity some won't. So I want to use WURFL to serve the right "string" to each device. The string may be "EUR", "Euros" or "&euro;".

As far as I am concerned, I want WURFL to consider "&euro;" just like any other string. What's the XML way to escape it?

I tried this, but it doesn't work:

<capability name="entity_euro" value="<![CDATA[&euro;]]>"/>

I could work it around by creating a micro expression language of some kind:

<capability name="entity_euro" value="ampersand_euro;"/>

but this does not seem to elegant.

Thanks

Luca