xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] entity in attribute value

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder AT yahoo.com>
  • To: 'xom-interest' <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Luca Passani <passani AT eunet.no>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] entity in attribute value
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:32:49 -0800 (PST)

--- On Wed, 1/14/09, Luca Passani <passani AT eunet.no> wrote:

> > It sounds like perhaps the original content was not
> produced using actual XML(-aware) tools, but by string
> concatenation or such.
>
> Guilty as charged. I used xemacs to create my XML configuration file.
> What should I have used?

:-)

I was assuming it was an automated system, not hand-written. Forgot that xml
can also be produced manually!
Given how flexible (X)Emacs is, maybe there is an xml authoring mode that
does help you with escaping?

If not, there are XML editors too; I used to use XXE (Xmlmind Xml Editor)
myself, but that was years ago. This has the benefit of allowing schemas to
be used, to add bit of WYSIWYG in the mix.
Maybe others can give better suggestions; I know there are many commercial
editors, but I try to use open source ones.

Additionally/alternatively you could use something to check well-formedness
(validator of some sort, Emacs should have something for that too)? It would
catch the particular problem.

Hope this helps,

-+ Tatu +-