xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Iterable Elements

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Adam Batkin <adam AT batkin.net>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Iterable Elements
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:26:18 +0100

Michael Kay wrote:
No, the dynamics of open source development changes that entirely. When
users aren't paying, they can't make demands.

When I started doing open source I found that incredibly liberating, and it
enabled me to move forward at a far faster pace and produce much better
software than I had ever done in the commercial space.

I understand that there are some very interesting issues to be worked out here but they are - in my opinion - mostly philosophical and not technical. I'm definitely not saying this isn't the right forum or that you should stop discussing this, on the contrary, I find it fascinating to hear what other people think. The day-job half of me tends toward one side and the OSS hacker half tends the other way.

That said, I have an idea that might help solve the original [technical] issue: Someone could maintain a set of patches to the source code to make XOM's Elements and Nodes Iterable. This is open source after all. If this would be useful to others on this list, I might even volunteer my time and some hosting if necessary. Actually, I already have the code written and tested for some projects I have worked on (well, it's currently a light wrapper, but even with that it is still only a few lines long).

I hope this doesn't open up a new can of worms. Note that I am *not* suggesting a fork, just a set of patches (and possibly a parallel set of releases). And it's so few lines that the patches should be pretty easy to maintain from release-to-release.

Thoughts?

-Adam Batkin