xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Iterable Elements

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Olivier Lefevre <lefevrol AT yahoo.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Iterable Elements
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:54:50 +0200

Michael Kay wrote:
If you want to be a player in the enterprise software world, supporting multiple versions is a burden you have to be willing to bear anyhow:

No, the dynamics of open source development changes that entirely. When
users aren't paying, they can't make demands.

You are merely saying that, as someone who works (to a large extent) pro deo gratias, you are unwilling to pay the onerous entry ticket to the enterprise software world; I assume Elliotte's position is much the same. That is fine and indeed perfectly sensible but then you should not talk as it you were actually in that game and offer concern over losing your enterprise-grade label or letting down your enterprise users as a reason for doing or not doing xyz. Besides there's always the option of making such users pay for support of old versions.

The bottom line is that this whole line of argumentation is unconvincing to me. That leaves us with the design philosophy reasons which, as I already said, I'll respect (meaning I won't ask again).

-- O.L.