xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Iterable Elements

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Olivier Lefevre <lefevrol AT yahoo.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Iterable Elements
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:14:21 +0200

Michael Kay wrote:
what would be the harm in such a policy?

As a developer, it means you are supporting multiple versions, and you can
no longer tell people who have a problem to solve it by moving to the latest
release. That significantly affects maintenance costs.

If you want to be a player in the enterprise software world, supporting multiple versions is a burden you have to be willing to bear anyhow: support for version X long after it is no longer current is one of the key characteristics of "enterprise" software (and hardware as well), perhaps the defining one.

Your wish, on the developer side, to be eligible for enterprise-grade software status while being able to use "just move on to the latest release" as the answer to all problems strikes me as the mirror image of the wish, on the customer side, to stick with Java 1.4 while enjoying the very latest libraries: in both cases I would argue it is a case of trying to have one's cake and eat it too. Neither position quite computes, IMO.

-- O.L.