xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] core package 400 kb!?!

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • To: "'Elliotte Harold'" <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: 'xom-interest' <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] core package 400 kb!?!
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:56:26 +0100

> I might be able to work around that one. I'll have to think
> about it. I could notice if the parser is Crimson and, if it
> is, strip off any initial UTF-8 byte order mark before
> passing it to the parser.

Personally, I think that patching up defects in other products is usually
the wrong thing to do. Better to leave it alone, as another incentive for
people to move forward to later releases.

There might be an exception where someone is offering you good money to do
it, but even then I would tend to put the solution in a free-standing
component - an InputStreamReader that people can use as a filter for their
Crimson input if they wish - and not in a component that itself has no
responsibility for XML parsing.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/