xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] [Spam:8.0] Re: core package 400 kb!?!

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • To: "'Adam Constabaris'" <adamc AT unc.edu>, "'Steve Loughran'" <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: 'xom-interest' <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] [Spam:8.0] Re: core package 400 kb!?!
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:31:18 +0100

> > Java 1.5's xslt engine is very memory hungry...it leads to
> a lot of > 'ant runs out of memory in junitreport' support
> calls. If you are > using xsl and want to stick with what is
> built in, run the JVM with > extra memory.
>
> It may be because Sun decided XSLTC would be the default
> rather than the interpreted mode:

That may have caused compatibility problems, but I'm not sure why you are
suggesting that it caused performance problems.

But of course anyone looking for performance will be running Saxon anyway -
I tested a customer stylesheet today and Saxon was a factor of 5 faster and
took one third of the memory.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/