xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.0d23 Last Call

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: jcowan AT reutershealth.com
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.0d23 Last Call
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:30:06 -0500

At 2:14 PM -0500 2/2/04, jcowan AT reutershealth.com wrote:

5) Consider handing makeDocType the internal subset so it can look inside,
but except on attempts to change it.

I think I'm not going to do this. There are several reasons:

1. If I pass the internal DTD subset, then clients will expect to be able to set or change it, which can't actually be done. It's read-only.

2. It is not part of the document's infoset, at least except for any PIs or comments that appear there. But these are not expeosed as PIs or comments anyway.

3. This could change from one document to the next depending on whether or not the content appears in the internal or external DTD subset. Therefore depending on this content is dangerous.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)